Wednesday, July 29, 2009

This time... I really felt death is upon me.

I dunno how to describe this feeling ... that you feel that you are so close to death .

I've experienced yet another scary experience in new zealand... less than 2 months since last accident.

I was in Queenstown for ski. ( tho I'm not going to elaborate more of the ski-ing experience, but I gotta tell you ski is hell lots of fun ! I took 2 beginner's lessons and i daresay I can ski quite abit already ! haha ) . Whatever , I took a coach bus that's suppose to deliver us to the ski field from the town and fetch us back at the end of the day. The accident happened on the way back from the ski field.

It was about 4.30pm . Temperature about freezing or below freezing point. Our coach was leaving the mountain and we are actually going downhill . It would normally take 40 minutes to descend from the top of the mountain where the ski field is, to the bottom of the mountain thru quite a steep road , with lots of sharp turnings. ( actually the speed limit for the corners are all about 25 to 35 km/h , imagine how sharp the turning is ) .

Since the way down is only one-lane with no passing, vehicles practically have to queue and follow the front car slowly. What happenned was , the car infront of us was braking continously for no reason. Our driver has been trying to slow down the bus by slowly braking. However, there's one instance where the car infront of us slowed down too much, our bus nearly hit it. In an effort to try to avoid crashing to the front car, our driver stepped on the brake as much as he could. As the road is frozen with ice ( i guess it's called black ice ) , our bus's rear wheels lost control and started to slide on the road's icy surface. Our driver counter-steered the bus and it slid to the right side of the road , towards the mountain ...

Right before that moment , I was actually dozing off on the bus. I was a bit tired after the whole day's fun at the ski field. I heard screamings from the other passengers on the bus. The next thing I know, I raised my head, I saw our bus missed the front car by inch, then our bus started sliding sideways ( not the fast sort, it happenned slowly ) . More screamings , and to our horror, , we actually realised that we are going to fall down the mountain. The bus sort of stopped and halted by the steel wires fence at the side , with the front tyre almost out of the road.

The front passenger stood up, shouted to the back of the bus so that everyone dont panic and stay still. At the moment, we dont know how long of the bus is actually hanging on the mountain. So all our concern was if the passengers at the back of the bus all rush to the front exit , the bus might fall . ( I was right at the middle of the bus ) . After a few seconds where the bus seems to have no more movement, the driver told us it is save to get down the bus.

The fence of steel wire has saved us all. We went down the bus, and the driver explained to us what had happened. Our bus blocked the whole road and whole mountain's ski-ers have to wait behind our bus. The driver called the ski-field and they came to tow the bus. We waited at the roadside for about one hour before the tow-er came. They accessed the damage of the bus and they confirmed that it is safe for us to board the bus again. ( well, frankly, I'm not very convinced at that time ). The driver reassured us and he drove extremely slow and got us down the mountain.

The moment when the bus is slidding towards the mountain, all I thought was how can I survive . I was thinking of holding onto something so that when the bus is turning, I wont be falling here and there. In addition, I was thinking of covering my head with my jacket so that I wont get hit by sharp things. Survivor instinct ! And , the thought of .. " Is this the end of my life " really occured to me.

Well, I hope the saying " da nan bu si, bi you hou fu" is true. Then I'll have 2 times of hou fu !

Let's see the photos that I took while waiting for the tow truck


Photobucket

Saved by the fence. NOT all of the parts of the road has fence ... luckily there are fences at the place the accident took place.

Photobucket

Blocking the whole road


Photobucket

View from further away

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'll never forget how these have save my life.

Photobucket

very very strong steel... it stopped the whole bus from sliding further

Photobucket

just how steep it is ... and it is a very very long way down ...

Photobucket

all of the passengers

Photobucket

the truck ... fitted with ice-chain ( to gain more grip on the icy road surface , fancy our bus didnt have that one !! )

Photobucket

well , since I'm not dead.. I should be feeling happy and take a photo down , right ? LOL



that's about all . the next day we actually drove to milford sound ... risking avalanche and driving on the icy roads with our own car. Thanks see hon for driving carefully ( it is very very very tiring to concentrate so much on driving on that road conditions )and got us in and out of the place safely !

sign off ,

Xu Shen , 0
Atlantiz.

P/S : Going back soon !!

7 comments:

ong said...

hey bro... happy to see u still be able to post something... cheer for ur life... phew... ur photo look like national geography photo... so incredible... by the way... when u back JB?

Xu Shen said...

hahaha ..


soon.

Will reach LCCT on 3rd august

Ivan said...

cool man...
After the 2 big incident, but you didn't die.. it just means you 命大。 Huat ar!!

cruSadER said...

Huat arrr....

Can start buy 4D and toto...

阿如 said...

fuh..U'r so so lucky man...thx god u still alive..:p

*Peter* said...

Wow !!! Cool.... Incredible adventure... Thank God..

banana ong said...

A ru is chew friend? welcome...
chew is back in JB!!!